SHARON WHEELER // FLOUR + FRECKLES
Meet Sharon! We have know Sharon for years and when she launched her cake/cupcake baking business we were first in line to taste test! Now a years later, with a thriving business (and a few extra pounds for us) we are so excited to share her story and tips.
1. Tell us a little bit about your background and business.
Besides photography and teaching children for 4 years I have always been huge on baking. I mean food in general is everything. My interest in the kitchen started pretty young but it wasn’t until highschool I decided to try my hand in desserts. There wasn’t many cakes being baked just yet. It was more like pies, cookies, and this one dessert ... it was called “swans swimming in a raspberry sauce with a caramel cage” by Jacques Pepin. Just look that up. My mom was so amazed I made this. Another time I made this Martha Stewart cake recipe. It was a cake with a pyramid of mini cupcakes on top, had to try, so I did. (Made that cake for my sisters bday)
Fast forward to 2017. I’m in my early 30’s wondering what do I really want to do for a career. I had been baking cakes for my family and friends who just needed something for a birthday or any type of small event. Then one day I was told I should sell my cakes. I mean besides my family and close friends who would buy cakes from me??? Oh yeah... apparently a lot of people!
I bake cakes for the joy in creating something beautiful and my artistic outlet but also because I’ve never been to a party where I actually enjoyed eating the cake. It was either store bought, dry or way to sweet. Now I am being told that the cakes are a hit, they wish they had more, and it was so good they had to order from me again.
Guess I must be doing something right. Whoot whoot!
2. If you had to only bake one cupcake for the rest of your life which one would it be?
S’mores. I never get tired of this flavor and I get to use a torch! That’s always the best part.
3. What was the first thing you ever baked?
An apple pie. It was USAmazing! Just felt like making something sweet and that’s what called to me. My friends and i sat on my driveway, each holding a fork and just dove right in.
4. Your business has really taken off in the last year. What has been the most rewarding part? (besides the left cover cupcakes)
The fact that I made this happen. That I believed in myself and pushed myself out of my comfort zone and said “just try it out!” I love being my own boss. Freedom to make my hours and boss myself around.
5. Hadley wanted me to ask you "what does a cupcake do on its birthday?"
Gets lit! (Cause you know it has a candle LOL)
6. Where do you get your inspiration for your cupcake flavors and decorations?
In the beginning it was the basic flavors. Then anything I would eat, like Oreos, PB, salted caramel. Then the creative ideas come from all over. It could be from Instagram or Pinterest inspiration or just anything.
7. What are your must have baking tools?
I’ll give you 3 that I just couldn’t do without
1. My cake pans... cause well... that’s just a mess without them
2. My Kitchenaid mixer... I think after 3 mins of mixing with just a spoon I’d just give up and find a new career. Ha!
3. Piping tips! I love piping cupcakes! Nothing is quite satisfying than the perfect piping job, some sprinkles and lots of edible glitter!